This is an advisory notification to inform our Molina Healthcare of California
(MHC) network providers about the toll-free substance abuse consultation hotline based at the University of California- San Francisco (UCSF).
UCSF has developed a toll-free hotline for PCPs, nurses, and psychiatrists who want to consult with addiction medication specialists. The Clinician Consultation Center offers free, timely, clinician-to-clinician telephone consultation. The UCSF expert team helps providers identify patient-centered, evidence-informed options based on established treatment guidelines, up-to-date scientific findings, and clinical best practices.
The UCSF expert team advises on all aspects of substance use management, including:
- Assessment and treatment of opioid, alcohol, and other substances use disorders.
- Approaches to suspected misuse, abuse, or diversion of prescribed opioids.
- Methods to simplify opioid-based pain regimens to reduce risk of misuse and toxicity.
- Urine toxicology testing – when to use it and what it means.
- Use of buprenorphine and the role of methadone maintenance.
- Withdrawal management for opioids, alcohol, and other CNS depressants.
- Harm reduction strategies and overdose prevention.
- Managing substance use in special populations(pregnancy, HIV, hepatitis).
- Productive ways of discussing known or suspected addiction with patients.
To reach a Substance Abuse Hotline consultant, please call (855) 300-3595 from 7am to 3pm PST on weekdays. Voicemail is available during off hours.