The benefits of having a dog
(or other animal) around…
• Decreases blood pressure
• Reduces stress and anxiety
• Increases chemicals in
the brain that reduce pain
and depression and enhance
• Helps people feel safer and
• Sigmund Freud used his dog in
psychotherapy to reduce his own anxiety
and help his patients relax.
• Mayo Clinic founder Dr Charles Mayo
used a dog to help his patients heal faster.
• Dogs don’t care what you look like, how
you feel, who you hang out with, or what
you do for a living. They just like being with
• Dogs can heal!
• Sibelia uses her pug “Sekhmet” for animal
assisted therapy and can bring her to your
home or facility.
Compiled by Sibelia L. Chaiyahat, LCSW